How would your business be impacted if you lost the data from your workshop management system? Backing up your workshop management system is vital to mitigating the risk of worst-case data loss scenarios.
What is a backup?
This is the process of copying the data from your software, in the event that your WMS or DMS is subject to a virus or simply human error, you have a set of data that can restore your system back to set date point.
Why should you do it?
It’s all about mitigating risk. How would you file your tax return without your financial data or respond to audits? Invoice customers? Contact customers? Business would stop. The financial consequences of the loss of data are not worth the risk.
When should you do it?
Daily, every month-end and each financial year.
How to do it
- Set up daily automatic backups. We recommend having an IT professional set this up for you.
- Manually run backups following month and financial end (see Knowledge Base for more information).
- Save backups to cloud storage. If you choose to save to an external hard drive, keep these stored offsite so the records are not damaged if something happens to your premises.
- Regularly test your backups so you know they will work when you really need them.
- Move to a hosted software solution and have your provider take care of the backups for you.
Other tips from our team on how to stay safe online
- Use a password manager to store your passwords, free cloud-based options are available. PC has a great guide for tips for creating memorable and secure passwords.
- Update your passwords regularly and after staff have left the team.
- Don’t share passwords, set up accounts for each user of the system. If you need to share passwords, only do so with people you trust.
- Keep your anti-virus software up to date (see a list of anti-virus tools that are compatible with our software).
- BACKUP, BACKUP… BACKUP… then BACKUP some more.
- Refer to the CERT NZ guidelines for more information on keeping your business safe online.
Want more advice on how to keep your workshop safe? Speak to your Account Manager to find out the best options for your workshop management or dealer management system.